Illinois Beverage Association
Managing a powerful network of businesses who comprise the non-alcoholic beverage industry
Championing the industry in the face of harmful legislation, including battling beverage taxes, while making the case for its economic impact throughout the state.
Strategy and Tactics:
- Develop a strong coalition of allies with interests in manufacturing, retail, hospitality and entertainment industries.
- Direct a dedicated government affairs team that engages directly with local and state lawmakers to educate them on economic impact of the beverage industry in Illinois.
- Manage a pro-active 21st century communications and media relations team that aggressively promotes the benefits of the industry, confronts myths/misinformation promoted by special interests.
- Built a coalition of more than 50,000 Cook Country retailers, restauranteurs, residents, and others to take on a popular politician over bad policy. And won. Cook County Commissioners voted 15-2 to repeal the beverage tax, just two months after it went into effect.
- Lead an annual state lobbying trip and reception for members to connect with state elected officials.
- Rebrand the association’s message to better tell its story of providing $8.4 billion in direct economic impact to the state, providing $923.7 million in wages and benefits
- Expand the association’s message to elected officials beyond job creation and tax revenue to position the organization as a champion of environmental sustainability and community support.
IBA’s successful track record of protecting the industry’s interests speaks for itself.